Falmouth Harbour Commissioners pilot boat ‘Arrow’


Type of Boat: 15.5m Pilot Cutter

Spec: Built by V.T. Halmatic Ltd, Portsmouth in 2006

Project Scope: Major fire damage repair

In July 2010 the Falmouth Harbour Commissioners pilot boat ‘Arrow’ suffered a devastating engine room fire. Much of the damage was immediately obvious. But the full extent could not be assessed until the area had been cleared and properly examined.

Mylor Yacht Harbour won the fiercely-contested repair contract not only because our Marine Team could offer the required practical skills at the right price, but principally because we demonstrated the best ability to manage the evolving work programme, transparently specifying cost-effective solutions as it proceeded and new problems were revealed.

Captain Mark Sansom, the Falmouth Harbour Master, said “This was potentially a nightmare from a boat repair point of view. But Mylor conducted an extremely intricate management exercise, making sure that every job was accountable and verifiable. That meant we were able to get the repairs undertaken as quickly as possible, and also construct a very complex insurance claim history around them.”

A challenge for the whole team

This was the biggest project of its type yet undertaken at the yard. Those management skills were well tested as the full extent of the damage to the 17 metre, 28 tonne vessel emerged, orchestrating the deployment of all our trades – mechanical and electrical engineers, shipwrights, glass fibre specialists, painters, welders and fabricators.

Repairs and improvements

In short, the entire engine space was gutted and structural GRP repairs completed before we installed two brand new Scania commercial diesel engines. The engine control panels, looms, inverters, chargers and most of the boat’s mains and domestic wiring were replaced.

The generator and various intake systems were relocated. A complete new conventional fire detection system was installed in the engine room, supported by CCTV surveillance. A wide range of other detailed remedial work was also carried out to make the craft safer and more efficient.

A great job well done

Altogether, it required seven month’s intensive full time work. Despite the uncertainties we had offered a completion date – and achieved it with three days to spare. Mylor’s Marine Team Engineering Manager Nathan Percival said “It was a fantastic project to win and be involved in, and I’m happy to say it all came in on budget and on time.”